Monday, April 20, 2009

Taboule Salad Part 1

What did you make?

I followed the recipe on the back of Trader Joe's whole wheat couscous box to make a version of Taboule salad. I used 1/2 cup of boiling water, 6 tablespoons of olive oil, and 1/3 cup lemon juice as the liquid base to 1.25 cups of couscous. I was really surprised by the amount of olive oil called for. I also found that the couscous was not really cooking with just one cup of boiling water.
I modified this recipe by putting this on the stove on low heat. I also added some of the juice from the garbanzo beans to add moisture to this mix. I seasoned the dish with just some salt and pepper and dried oregano. I was also considering adding tuna but I decided to leave it vegetarian with just garbanzo beans and chopped tomatoes.

How long did it take?

This took around 40 minutes only because I was multitasking as I made this. (keep an eye out for Taboule Salad Part 2). I think this dish could be made in 20 minutes if you only boiled enough water for the dish instead of a whole tea kettle's worth.

How did it taste?

I would give this a 7.5. I really like the taste of garbanzo beans in this dish and tomatoes were also nice. In the past I added some white vinegar to this dish and I kind of wish I had done that this time because while my taboule tasted good I think it could have used an extra kick.

1 comment:

  1. Regina, I'm confused by how many accounts I can have...

    But, I am starting a blog for my afterschool class. Probably won't update too much, but I'll tell them about your blog in class today!

    ReplyDelete